The surrounding colonial country landscape in central Pennsylvania is marked by Triassic red brownstone, rolling hills and valleys with freshwater streams.
This area was part of William Penn’s colonial land grant settlements during the 1700’s, and became known as Pennsylvania, or “Penn’s Woods”. First Quakers, then Germans settled the surrounding colonial area, clearing the land for farming. Grist mills were built to provide food for livestock and settlers and supply local communities all the way to Baltimore. Wheat, corn, rye, hemp and flax were main agricultural crops.
The freshwater stream adjacent to the Quaker Mill House is an example of the pristine countryside this region has to offer.
Triassic-era dinosaur footprints have been excavated from this site.
Local Hummelstown-type brownstone, determined to be the ideal building material compared to many other types of stone, marks the landscape.